- many people either put Black Peppercorns or carom seeds but i like to use both…peppercorn for flavor and carom seeds help in digestion…it is fried after all.
- please do not heat the oil to smoking point ….the rounds will burn instantly on the outside…leaving the inside uncooked.
- I personally like to roll them up thin ….it turns out to be more crispy….hate the bulky thick versions.
- Do not fry too many of them at one time….they will remain uncooked…
- PLEASE TAKE CARE TO STORE THEM WELL IN AIRTIGHT CONTAINERS…if you want them to crispy for long.
1/4th cup fine Semolina
2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp whole Black Peppercorns (pounded slightly)or you can also use carom seeds
1/8th tsp Baking Powder
2 tbsp Curd / Plain Yogurt
7 tbsp warm Water
4 tbsp melted Ghee or clarified butter / or you can also very easily use Oil
Oil for deep frying
- Mix the flour, salt ,cracked pepper and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the ghee and rub between your palms until it takes the form of breadcrumbs.
- Add the curd and give it a further rub.
- Add water and form a firm dough by kneading it for about 8 mins .
- Cover with the damp cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll out all the balls.
- Heat the oil in a deep-frying pan.
- Fry the rolled out dough in a batch over moderate heat.
- Do not allow the rounds to become brown, they should remain golden in color.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat the process.
- Store only when cooled in airtight boxes.